PUBLIC MEETING on Friday 20th SEPTEMBER

By | September 10, 2019

HERSHAM VILLAGE SOCIETY are holding a PUBLIC MEETING on Friday 20th SEPTEMBER 2019 at the Hersham Community Centre, Burhill Road, Hersham : Followed by a short talk on Hersham History (especially for new comers) Hersham Councillors will be in attendance to update you on Elmbridge and Surrey matters. Doors open 6.30 p.m. Meeting commences at 7.15 p.m. Refreshments All welcome to attend, ask questions or raise matters of concern to Hersham. You may send questions to office@hershamvillagesociety.org.uk

The Hersham Community Centre is opposite Piglets Play Centre where you may park, we are just across the road.

Agenda for HRA meeting 24th September 7:30 Watermans Arms Function Room

By | September 5, 2019

The agenda for our next meeting on 24th September 7:30 at the Watermans Arms Function Room is available here - all are welcome (whether or not you are a current member of the HRA) to hear the discussion and contribute if you wish.

The agenda is flexible, so if there is something that you would like to raise please let us know mailto:info@hershamresidents.info and come along to the meeting.

Friends of Hersham Library Art Exhibition, with tea and cakes! Sat 31st August from 10:00 until 14:00

By | August 29, 2019

As a keen supporter of Friends of Hersham Library – the HRA would encourage people to attend this event and help support your local library. See poster for more details which can be downloaded here: –

FHL Poster_31st August 2019
The event is free, and there will be an art exhibition in the garden.

Consultation on creating a new Elmbridge Local Plan which will set the framework for new development in the Borough; – comments requested before the 30th September

By | August 28, 2019

This important consultation is to gather views on 5 options for meeting the borough’s housing need as part of the preparation of a new Local Plan.
The local plan, when finalised, will set the framework for new development in the Borough. Full details are posted on the Elmbridge website here: click here for full details. Please have a look and copy any comments to the HRA ASAP before our meeting on the 24th September, (at the Watermans Arms 7:30) when we will finalise our response on the basis of feedback from Hersham residents and businesses. Please mailto:info@hershamresidents.info

The package of documents on the Elmbridge website includes a very helpful animation to help understand the purpose of a local plan and the purpose of this consultation. It also includes an interactive Map to view the 5 options being proposed, this allows you to zoom in to the Hersham area. Further background including the timetable for the review, consultation and envisaged publication of a new plan is also explained in a document called the “Local Development Scheme” is also available on the Elmbridge website and can be accessed here.

Discussions at HRA meeting on 30 July

By | July 30, 2019

The HRA held a very useful meeting on 26 July – some extracts from the discussions are reported below in no particular order:

Dates mentioned during the meeting:
1. Date of next HRA meeting was agreed as 24th September – all welcome please mark this in your diaries.
2. Date of Christmas confirmed as 14th December
3. A quiz to be run by the HVS on Friday 25th October to raise money for Elmbridge Mencap (at the Day Centre)wad highlighted
4. The next application period for CIL funding, for 2020-2021, is anticipated to open in February 2020, with the boards being held in June and early July 2020.

Other Hersham news:
1. Village hall reopening still planned pending estimates
2. Hersham Beer Festival agreed as a great event – 2000 people attended and there were only 5 complaints – however it was suggested that the volume was a little too loud.
3. Double yellow lines are to be painted on the corner of Thrupps Lane and Mole Road to improve visiblity at this corner.

Possible events discussed:
1. Discussion about a possible Hersham Carnival – the subject was debated with however no firm conclusions
2. Help for Heros event – there was some discussion about whether this could be organised again in the memorial gardens (next year)

Planning matters were discussed:
1. The pending local plan consultation from 15 august to end Sept was notted and all agreed that this would be an important consultation for the HRA to consider.
2. It was reported that, after some delay, work to build more housing on the Rydens site is to proceed.

Other:
1. River Mole sluices were discussed. The EA apparently (following local feedback) now don’t have any plans to open sluices and lower river levels, although a range of other options remain open and this matter will be the subject of future discussion
2. Homes for Hersham scheme discussed – this scheme for creating affordable housing was at the early stages of planning – further updates to be provided

A certificate of appreciation from Hersham Youth Trust was noted:
15645247502511254204966820789334

The next HRA committee meeting will be on 30th July

By | July 28, 2019

The next HRA committee meeting will be on 30th July 7:30 at the Watermans Arms Function Room – all are very welcome, whether you have any connection with the HRA or not.

In addition to some debate about current planning matters, items for discussion will include: –

  • Changes to the sluices on the river Mole from Hersham downstream
  • Help for Heroes Concert
  • Scrabble competition
  • Hersham carnival
  • Parking at corner Thrupps Lane and Mole Road
  • Hersham beer festival 5th/6th July – Report
  • Discussion about a possible dog show
  • Re-opening of Hersham Village Hall
  • Mail chimp
  • Community Infrastructure Levy CIL
  • Christmas in Hersham
  • Friends of Hersham Library
  • New Council housing proposed by Roy Green
  • Homes for Hersham launch
  • Notice board and tubs
  • Riverside (walk)
  • Hersham Youth Trust volunteers
  • A proposed cheese and wine evening with local councillors and business organisations

There will of course be opportunities for comment on the above and any other matters – your input is valuable so do come along.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Planning matters for discussion on the 30th July

By | July 25, 2019

The committee will be discussing planning issues as normal at its next committee meeting on 30th July 7:30 at the Watermans Arms Function Room – do come along.

One of the planning items for discussion is a redevelopment of a 3 bed bungalow in Westcar Lane which will be replaced by 5 houses –

click on this link to the Elmbridge website for more details

Clearly there will always be a need for more housing, but where should the line be drawn for new developments which radically change the character and density long established areas of housing?

Please come and join the debate, whatever your views, on Tuesday night (30th July 7:30 – all welcome).

Hersham Beer Festival!

By | July 3, 2019

Don’t forget Hersham Beer Festival 5th 6th and 7th July on Vauxmead.

it should be a great event for Hersham and we wish the organisers all the best.

– You can get your tickets and see further details here

Agenda for the Next HRA meeting Tuesday 18th June at 7:30 at the Watermans, all welcome

By | June 3, 2019

The next HRA meeting of the committee and anyone else who would like to attend will be on Tuesday 18th June at 7:30 at the Watermans function room –  members or non-members would be very welcome.

The agenda for the meeting can be downloaded here
HRA Agenda for 18th June 2019

Any questions or comments about the agenda please mailto : info@hershamresidents.info

Report of the HRA AGM / Public Meeting on 16 May 2019

By | May 21, 2019

The following provides a summary of some of the key points from the AGM held on 16 May – (minutes are available here which you might want to refer to for more detail).

The AGM heard that the committee had met 10 times during the year to review planning and Hersham issues and discuss consultations affecting Hersham. The recent EBC elections were noted and Hersham Councillor Mary Sheldon was congratulated on her new position as Mayor.

Key planning / development related issues highlighted during the year included, the rejection of the Drake Park proposals – although it was noted that further consultation on the local plan was pending this year. The planned re-opening of the village hall, the new public restricted byway status of Turners Lane and also the successful lobby against further building at Whiteley Village were all welcomed – and the HRA’s contribution to these outcomes was recognised.

Improvements at Hersham Riverside were also welcomed and progress towards a leaflet to promote this overlooked Hersham asset was noted.

The HRA’s involvement in the sunflower competition, Remembrance Day and a Hersham Christmas social event were also noted.

The Chairman reflected on the death of Andrew Sturgis and reported that a tree is to be planted in the autumn by the HRA in the Memorial Gardens to commemorate Andrew and his contribution to Hersham and the HRA.

The work of many HRA members during the year to help create a community council for Hersham was noted.  The rejection of this proposal following Elmbridge’s consultation was disappointing, but emphasised the need for the HRA to continue to try and do some of the good works that were envisaged for delivery by the Community Council.

Subscriptions and membership: Membership had not changed significantly since last year, and an increase in members would be welcomed.  It was decided to keep the membership subs the same for 2017/8 at £5 a year per household/ family with a reduction for a five-year membership of £20. It was decided for the time being that a membership option should remain available for individuals who choose to pay a lower rate of £2.50 per year with a reduction to £10 for 5 years.

After the treasurers report the AGM agreed some small donations to Hersham in Bloom, the Hersham Youth Trust and Friends of Hersham Library with a proviso that the actual use of the money donated could be identified.

The Chair reported that he and Jean Campbell would be standing down from their roles as chairman and treasurer.

Public discussion forum

Guest Speaker: – Jackie Richardson, Hersham’s new vicar, gave an excellent talk about St Peter’s community work highlighting the Foodbank that provided 2098 meals last year, the Fellowship Group which meets in the Church Hall 1.30 every Thursday and the playgroup Gems.

Hersham Beer Festival: - Ian Warner reported on the event’s new venue this year on Vauxmead and the considerable work done by the organisers to engage with the HRA and residents locally to make the event a success was noted and welcomed.

Friends of Hersham Library: – Sue Mealor reported that the current consultation on library services is yet to report, and real concerns remain around future funding, Sue noted Cllr J O’Reilly’s strong support, and highlighted some recent improvements to the windows and garden.

Hersham Youth Trust: - It was noted that SCC funding of youth workers had been cut and funding from other sources including EBC, Walton Charities and St Peters together with income from a nursery using the premises was being used to keep the club solvent.  The use of volunteers was also increasingly important to keep the club going.
.

David Lock